Search This Blog

Friday, September 18, 2015

INBs with CC Algebra 1

Even though I've taught 9th grade algebra many times, this year is my first year teaching Common Core Algebra 1. I've decided I'm ready for some major changes, starting with using Interactive Notebooks (INBs) and seating my classes in groups as their regular seating arrangement.

So far I am loving both of these choices. The kids seem to be loving the INBs.

Pros: 
  • Everyone can be successful in my algebra class. (Who can't master cutting and pasting?)
  • Students are more organized than ever before. We're integrating adding to the Table of Contents (TOC) into our daily routine. (Will it continue? Will students be able to keep this up all year?)
  • The physical demands of the INBs force me to slow down my teaching. Many of my students benefit from a slower pace in class. It also allows me extra time to do extra circulating and helping. 
  • The seating arrangement silently implies that collaboration is encouraged. (And it is!)
Cons: 
  • Glue stick abuse! Some students feel the need to cover every square inch with glue. I'm afraid I'll run out of glue by the end of October. 
  • Perfectionist trap. Some students feel the need to perfectly trim every handout or meticulously decorate and color. At the expense of doing math. 
  • The seating arrangement seems to be a distraction for some of my Algebra 2 students. Or maybe they would be talking all the time no matter how the desks were arranged. 
More updates to come soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment